Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Random Ramblings and a Reminder

I'm not going to waste your time with a million bazillion apologies for the lack of actual intelligent content on this blog, but I am going to tell you that the lack of actual intelligent content seems slated to continue, because I have a research paper due on FEBRUARY FIRST and I. Must. Finish. It.  

So this post shall be random and rambling and rather ridiculous.  Except for the parts where I inform you about various blog events, because as we all know blog events are Full of Fun.  First of all, I direct your attention to the Inkpen Authoress' "Heigh-Ho For A Husband" blog party.   Go to Rachel's blog and  check it out! I'm entering a frivolous little short story... what will you enter ?



Next on the list of events is Miss Laurie's birthday party for Mr. Charles Dickens.  Please pop over to Old-Fashioned Charm the week of February 7th to celebrate the birthday of the man who wrote the famous, fantastic, Little Dorrit... oh, and some other novels too. 






Old-Fashioned Charm

Also, Stephanie over at Eccentricitee is hosting a lovely Disney blog button contest, and I encourage you all to enter! (I have some rather fanciful ideas brewing for my entry...)

And now for some major randomness... Jemimah over at Beautiful Blank Pages has sweetly awarded me the...







And now for zee Rules of ziss Award... (ooh! more R's! And an F, because I'm being French, or at least attempting to sound French.  Has anyone else caught my alliterative R's and F's throughout this post? No? Never mind then.)

1. Share 7 things about yourself
2. Pass the award to 10 other bloggers

My seven foolish little things...

1) I am currently frighteningly obsessed with the musical Les Miserables.  I am also currently listening to "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" as I write this post and trying.... not... to... cry....
2) My sister and I are currently watching the amazing, the stupendous, the fantabulous, the shivers-down-your-spine Les Miserables 10th Anniversary Concert DVD.  I want Colm Wilkinson to sing at my wedding.  I also want Susan Boyle, Jackie Evancho, Julie Andrews, Michael Crawford and Finbar Wright to sing at my wedding, though, so I may have to narrow down the choices a little before I get married.
3) I am currently obsessed with the following songs: Do You Hear the People Sing?, Stars, Bring Him Home, Empty Chairs at Empty Tables, I Dreamed a Dream, A Little Fall of Rain, On My Own, One Day More and Who Am I?.
4) I am going to do something drastic if  Hollywood doesn't do a good job with the upcoming Les Miserables movie.  Well, I'll refuse to watch it, at least.
5) *desperately tries to think of something that's not Les-Miz-related* I adore cake decorating and enjoy making movie-themed cakes for my siblings' birthdays (my brother loves Herbie the Love Bug, so I made this for his seventh birthday a couple of weeks ago.)
6) If I were stranded on a desert island and could take only one thing with me, I would take Jeeves because he would know how to get me off the island.
7) I love orange food: cantaloupe, clementines, sweet potatoes and carrots are at the top of my favorite foods list.  I'm not sure why.

The ten blogs I award: (I tried to pick people who, to the best of my knowledge, haven't yet received the award)

1) Rachel at The Inkpen Authoress
2) Gracie at It's A Beautiful Life
3) Melody at Regency Delight: Jane Austen, &c.
4) Anne-girl at Scribblings and Tappings
5) Anna at Maiden Voyage
6) Stephanie at Eccentricitee
7) Miss Laurie at Old-Fashioned Charm
8) Ella at The Door in the Air
9) Maria Elisabeth at Miss Georgiana Darcy
10) Lauren at Books, Fashion and Tea

And to fill out this ridiculously random post, I give you something that is guaranteed to make you Roar with laughter (if you're in the League, that is.)  And of course you should know that I do not endorse the Broadway musical Wicked, et cetera et cetera et cetera (did you or did you not just read that in King Mongkut's voice? Yes, you did) but this song is funny and it fits the video purrfectly.



Finally, in the words of Mr. Clennam Sr., DO NOT FORGET to vote in the Period Drama Button Polls if you have not done so already.  The poll closes at 11:59 EST tonight!

10 comments:

Alexandra said...

I adore random, nonsensical posts. :-)

OOOOH! So glad you saw the 10th anniversary!!! Is it not completely epic?!?!?!?! Loves to distraction. Almost as much as TSP. Which says a lot, you know. :-P

I hope we don't get married around the same time, because Michael Crawford is my absolutely positively most favorite singer EVER in the WORLD...so I have first dibs for my wedding. :-P We'll have to find a compromise. :-D

Jeeves would be a most amusing addition to a desert island soiree...his humorous antidotes and prudent suggestions would lend just the sort of atmosphere needed at such a gathering. :-P

And lastly.....

I DIED the first time I saw that video. Is it not THE BEST?!?!?! Love, love, love...and now I'll have that song stuck in my head all day. :-D

Miss Laurie of Old-Fashioned Charm said...

Oooh! Thank you dear for passing the award on to me. I look forward to posting about it soon.

Thanks so much for posting about Charles Dickens Birthday Week! It's also lovely to see sweet Little Dorrit on your sidebar. ;)

That cake looks so yummy!
I'd never thought of taking a person if your stranded desert island - Jeeves would be the perfect person to take though!

Sir Percy does have some delicious cravats! I never noticed before how much he waves his monocle(?) around! Love the vid! :)

Rachel D. said...

Thank you for telling me about the contest! I just wrote a little, rather cute story, and I will be sending it in, as well as posting it on my new blog! Yep, I got a blog. Let's see if I actually use it.

http://a-wish-a-day.blogspot.com/

Ella said...

Thank you soo much Miss Dashwood!
That was very 'sweet'of you:)

Melody said...

At first, that song almost reminded me of Emma and Harriet... not so much later on...

Melody said...

Ooh! And thank you muchly for the blog award! I get distracted by one thing, and forget the next... you know me. LIMM

I really must get around to passing on these blog awards...

Oh, and P.S.: If anybody tried to make ME popular, they would end up with a high kick (or maybe a sharp slap) in their silly, astonished face. ;-)

Miss Dashwood said...

Alexandra,
Absolutely beyond words. Well, not quite beyond words, because I plan to devote a couple thousand words to gushing over it sometime in the near future.
All righty, you can have Michael Crawford at your wedding as long as I can have Andrea Bocelli. I can't believe I forgot to put him on the list!!
(Oh, and after watching last night, I want Lea Salonga and Michael Ball, too.)
That video is amazing. I love the part at the end. So perfectly in sync!

Miss Laurie,
I know, he definitely waves it around a lot, doesn't he? I adore that video, so I'm glad you liked it too. :)
It might be against the "rules" to take a person, I don't know... but in any case, I'd want to take Jeeves. ;)

Rachel,
I'm now following your blog!

Ella,
You're welcome!

Melody,
What, you mean you don't WANT to hang with the right cohorts and be good at sports? ;)
I would probably do the same.

Melody said...

Haha, you can really picture me as part of the "cool" crowd, can't ya?

I'm the type who wants Not to be popular. :P Because "Popular" people are extremely irritating.

However, when and if I play sports, I do like to be good at them. ;-) (Bet you didn't know I'd ever play any sort of sports, did you?)

Lauren | Chic Éthique said...

Thank you so much for awarding me Miss Dashwood! I really want to see the Les Miserables musical. I love I Dreamed a Dream...so beautiful:)
-Lauren

Stephanie said...

Oh! My goodness, and now I seem like an ungrateful snob... But I just noticed that you awarded me! Thank you :) I believe you posted this when I absolutely had no time to read anyone's blog posts, so I didn't see it till now, when I finally have time to catch up.