Thursday, November 6, 2014

"If I am a wild Beast I cannot help it. It is not my own fault."


I've been tagged by multiple people for the Janeite tag, which was making the rounds back in September (cough... cough cough cough... yes, I'm very late), and now I'm finally following through with it.

Here are the official rules (which of course I've bent to suit my own whims and inconsistencies)--

~Thank and link back to the person who tagged you.
~Tell how you were introduced to Jane Austen and share one fun fact about your Janeite life (this fun fact can be anywhere from "I stayed up all night reading Emma," to "I visited Chawton and met Anna Chancellor.").
~Answer the tagger's questions.
~Write seven questions of your own.
~Tag as few as one or as many as seven other Janeites and let them know you've tagged them.

So!  First of all, big thank you to Miss Elliot, Hannah, and Melody.  Since they've each tagged me with seven original questions, I chose not to answer twenty-one questions but instead to pick and choose my favorites from the bunch and just do seven all told.  (My blog, my rules. :P)


Second, the story of how I was introduced to Jane Austen... I've told this one on the blog before but it never hurts to repeat it.  I was 14, had outgrown a lot of the juvenile fiction at the library, was raring for something to read, and my mom said she thought I was old enough to try Pride and Prejudice.  So off I trotted to Borders (BACK WHEN BORDERS STILL EXISTED) with a gift card my grandfather had given me for my birthday, purchased the Modern Library of Classics edition of P&P, read it within a week, fell irrevocably in love and never looked back.  (And since that time I've read all six major novels, plus some of the juvenilia and unfinished works and what have you, watched most of the films, and co-run a blog devoted to the 1995 Pride and Prejudice miniseries.  Phew.)

As for a fun fact... um... I've seen a play of Pride and Prejudice performed live.  It was awesome.

...Yes, that was lame.  I'm bad at fun facts.

So.  Questions.


From Miss Elliot

~If you were Elinor Dashwood, would you buy sugar or beef?

I'd buy sugar. Definitely.  You can live on vegetables, after all.  And I'm not much of a beef person, to be honest.  Or really much of a meat person at all.  I don't dislike it, of course, but I can often just take it or leave it.  (My brother regards this opinion with the shock and horror that his nine-year-old constitution requires him to bestow.)

~Do you think you have to love tea to be a Janeite?

...I think you have to love tea to be a human.
KIDDING.
No, certainly not.  But it doesn't hurt.  :D


From Hannah

~Which relative of any of Austen's heroines/heroes do you find most annoying?

Mrs. Norris from Mansfield Park drives me NUTS.  I hate that woman.  Sir Walter Elliot from Persuasion also drives me batty.  Ugh.


~Provide up to five of your favourite Austen quotes. (I know, hard! Just pick a few random quotes that you love. They don't have to be your absolute favourites.)

"For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbours, and laugh at them in our turn?" (Pride & Prejudice)

"What dreadfully hot weather we are having! It keeps one in a continual state of inelegance." (letter to Cassandra

"From politics, it was an easy step to silence."  (Northanger Abbey)

"I cannot make speeches, Emma.  If I loved you less, I might be able to talk about it more."  (Emma)

"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal." (letter to Cassandra)


From Melody

~Heehee... okay. How would you react if you were talking to a young man rather close to your own age and he announced that he was a fan of Jane Austen? ;)

I would marry him.  Duh. :D

...Okay, okay, maybe I wouldn't quite go that far quite so soon, but I'd definitely be more Interested in him than I would have been had he not said such a thing.  Heehee.  And obviously I'd press for more details and probably harass him with a million questions about favorite books and movies and quotes and what all.  Because I do that with most people I meet who say they like Jane Austen.  Heh.

~So pretend that all the Jane Austen adaptations made up to this point, are actually being filmed presently, and you have the option to be an extra in one of them.  Which would you select, and what scene would you choose to be in?

I would be in Emma 2009, and I'd be a lady at the Crown Inn ball.  And I'd contrive to dance really close to Emma and Mr. Knightley so I could watch them being cute. :D


~You're at a ball which is comprised of twelve dances.  As they are done two at a time, you will be able to dance with six of Jane Austen's gentlemen.  Three of them are desirable, three of them you do not like at all.  You get to pick.  Which six are on your list?  (They'll still be the ones to ask you, of course. They will magically know to do so, I guess.)

(This question is hilarious, by the way.  Excellent job, Tween.)

I'd pick...

1. Mr. Knightley
2. Mr. Elliot
3. Henry Tilney
4. Henry Crawford
5. Mr. Willoughby
6. Mr. Bingley

(And you can figure out for yourself which I'd think of as desirable and undesirable.  Haha.  Please note that I chose the undesirable ones with how-gross-would-they-be-to-dance-with in mind, not necessarily how-horrible-are-they-as-humans.  Heehee.)

Now for my questions!


~If you could mix-and-match any Jane Austen heroine with a hero from a different novel, who would it be?  (ex: Fanny Price and Mr. Knightley)
~What's your favorite quote from a Jane Austen movie that doesn't actually appear in the novel it's based on? (make sense of that if you can)
~What's your favorite hat or bonnet worn by a heroine in a Jane Austen movie?
~Which Janeite-related location would you most want to visit-- London, Bath, Steventon Rectory or Chawton Cottage?
~What's your favorite kind of tea?  :D
~Have you ever randomly stumbled across a fellow Janeite at a social event?  Tell us about it!
~Who's your favorite parent in a Jane Austen novel?

And I tag... anyone reading this who wishes to do it.  Leave your answers in the comments if you care to (even if you've already done the tag!).

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Thank you for answering some of my questions! :) I loved reading your answers of course! I'm not going to do the Jane Austen tag again but, to answer your first question, I think Elizabeth Bennet and Henry Tilney would get along wonderfully :) And I would be FASCINATED to see how Emma Woodhouse and Darcy would get on!

Melody said...

Lovely, lovely! BUT I need your other answers to my questions. I neeeeeed. :P Do them in a comment or an email.
Please.
:D

WOOT you'd choose pretty much the same JA characters to dance with as I would. :D I would definitely choose Mr. Bingley over Mr. Darcy... although Captain Wentworth is probably a reasonably good dancer & conversationalist. :)

YAY CROWN INN BALL. :) Of course. You've very clever. :D

And your response to the one about meeting a male Janeite is basically what my answer would be too. ;)

It's actually "what dreadful hot weather we have", I think, even if that grammar isn't quite correct... ;)

I'm going to answer whichever of your questions strike me. ;)
~If you could mix-and-match any Jane Austen heroine with a hero from a different novel, who would it be?
Haha...you mean if I HAD to, not if I could. Because if it was a choice I would not do such a dreadful thing. ;)
Um... I have to say, I've always thought Elizabeth Bennet and Henry Tilney would make an interesting couple. :D

~What's your favorite quote from a Jane Austen movie that doesn't actually appear in the novel it's based on?
"I am determined that nothing but the very deepest love will ever induce me into matrimony."
That's one of them, anyhow. :)

~What's your favorite quote from a Jane Austen movie that doesn't actually appear in the novel it's based on?
Chawton. :D :D Steventon Rectory doesn't actually exist, anyway. It's just the location. ;)

~What's your favorite kind of tea? :D
Seattle Marketplace Spice.
Yes. It is officially my favourite. ;) I promise I'll save some for when you come next though, unless I buy more before then. :D

~Have you ever randomly stumbled across a fellow Janeite at a social event? Tell us about it!
Yessssss... well, people who like Jane Austen, anyways, and it never happens very interestingly, really. I'm lucky if I get to cross-examine them about it. ;)

Evangeline said...

Hello Miss Dashwood,
I will be answering your questions here, as I must get back to some study.

~If you could mix-and-match any Jane Austen heroine with a hero from a different novel, who would it be? (ex: Fanny Price and Mr. Knightley)

Umm maybe swap Marianne Dashwood with Amy March in Little Women.. that could be interesting or Marianne and Anne Shirley.

~What's your favorite quote from a Jane Austen movie that doesn't actually appear in the novel it's based on? (make sense of that if you can)

It makes sense but could I please pass? Yes good thank you! :D

~What's your favorite hat or bonnet worn by a heroine in a Jane Austen movie?

Elizabeth Bennet's in 1995 P&P so pretty! and Marianne's big bonnet in 1995 S&S

~Which Janeite-related location would you most want to visit-- London, Bath, Steventon Rectory or Chawton Cottage?

Chawton Cottage, but now in real time London.

~What's your favorite kind of tea? :D

Earl Gray!

~Have you ever randomly stumbled across a fellow Janeite at a social event? Tell us about it!

Um yes! In the musical I was in (Oklahoma) we (the orchestra) were doing a run though and then we were to have a break before the cast came to rehearse with us. Anyway one of the Violin players Sofia she got out her phone and played the Violin line for "Throw the Coins" from S&S 1995 (the end song) and I was like :O not only because she was so good, and had learnt it by ear, but the fact that she knew it too! Let's just say after the show that evening we had a coffee and talked about Jane Austen, Mr Darcy vs Mr Knightly and all mannor of lovely things. We now have become firm friends! (The Violist-Me and the Violinist- Her) :D

Did that suffice?

~Who's your favorite parent in a Jane Austen novel?

Mrs Bennet although I want to have stern words with her sometimes she is so funny!

Urgh maths study is calling me, Thanks ever so much Amy! :D

~Evie

jess dunlap said...

Bonjour Miss Dashwood, I love your answers, they're so thorough. :)
Especially compared to mine...more a one sentence kind of person. (Or, only because I have Mary Bennet's problem of not finding words to say what I am trying to get across.)
I think I might answer your questions for the Janeite Tag, I love them!

~If you could mix-and-match any Jane Austen heroine with a hero from a different novel, who would it be? (ex: Fanny Price and Mr. Knightley)
Oh heavens, Catherine M aaannnndddd Mr Bingley...(that would probably not go so well...hmm)
~What's your favorite quote from a Jane Austen movie that doesn't actually appear in the novel it's based on? (make sense of that if you can)
Ooooooooo testing whether the answerer read the books, sneaky. XD
I know that they changed the quote. "Esteem him! Like him! Cold-hearted Elinor! Oh! worse than cold-hearted! Ashamed of being otherwise. Use those words again and i will leave this room this moment."
They handled it very well in the '95 movie, I like how they switched it up.

~What's your favorite hat or bonnet worn by a heroine in a Jane Austen movie?
It would be Lizzy's bonnet, the one with the brown lining? I ♥ it!
~Which Janeite-related location would you most want to visit-- London, Bath, Steventon Rectory or Chawton Cottage?
I want, more than anything, to go to Bath for the Jane Austen Festival in September. I would ADORE that.
~What's your favorite kind of tea? :D
Now this one...this one is complicated. I have acquired a taste for Lemon Balm tea, I love it every night before I go to bed while I read a novel. However, my favourite is Earl Grey...and right behind that is Mad Hatter Tea. Hahaha there are too many!
~Have you ever randomly stumbled across a fellow Janeite at a social event? Tell us about it!
If going to costco counts...haha We were shopping there and suddenly there were two people wearing regency attire walking right in front of us...naturally we HAD to talk to them. :D They had gone to the event we were going to go to, kind people...lovely outfits...despite the fact the gent's coat was obviously left in the car. (SLEEVES *GASP*)
I'm not sure of any other, most activities we do are Jane Austen-esque.
~Who's your favorite parent in a Jane Austen novel?
Oh my...I like the Morlands, they care about their children...but they don't mind letting them go traveling! XD There we go!

That was fun! Great blogpost Miss Dashwood!
Au Revoir!
~Jess
http://jess-inthehomeofthedunlaps.blogspot.com/

Miss Elliot said...

YAYYYY AND SQUEEEEE!!! A Jane Austen tag!!! :-)
Thanks for answering some of my questions, by the way. And heehee, you have to love tea to be human. Ha. I agree. ;-)
I'll answer your questions. Because, Jane Austen, y'know.
~If you could mix-and-match any Jane Austen heroine with a hero from a different novel, who would it be?
Ummm ummm. This takes thought. I really think that Marianne Dashwood needs some snark and sense in her life. So I'm giving her Mr. Knightley. For fun (and to punish her :-p). Now I may be grumpy at Marianne because I just watched the '08 version of S&S and Marianne was... bleh. I don't know - too whiny and childish, IMHO. Anyways, I also think Elinor Dashwood would be a great match with Captain Wentworth, because of the whole unrequited love shebang.
~What's your favorite quote from a Jane Austen movie that doesn't actually appear in the novel it's based on?
"If she comes here, I MIGHT even POISON her." (Margaret is one of the reasons I LOVE S&S '08. Besides the fact that MYCROFT IS IN IT!!!!!!! can we just squee over that for a moment. And his faces. You can just imagine that he imagines he's John Dashwood when he's sick of being the British government. Heehee. And change the subject. NOW. Otherwise it'll just be Sherlock all night. AND SHERLOCK OUTTAKES. IS IT POSSIBLE TO LAUGH AND CRY WHILE WATCHING BLOOPERS. YES YES YES IT IS POSSIBLE.)
Ahem. Where were we? Oh yes.
I love the little exchange between Darcy and Elizabeth in P&P95 when Darcy happens upon Lizzy walking to Netherfield. She says, "I've come to see my sister." "On foot?" *the famous thank-you-for-pointing-that-out-my-dear look* "As you see." I love that!! :-)
~What's your favorite hat or bonnet worn by a heroine in a Jane Austen movie?
Oh my. I love, love, love Elizabeth Bennet's hat when she's walking around with Colonel Fitzwilliam getting a sudden headache - and all of Lizzy's hat's in general. (It's an EAR-HAT, John!!) But, I have to say, my favorite Austen movie hat of all time is Anne Elliot's in Persuasion '07.
~Which Janeite-related location would you most want to visit-- London, Bath, Steventon Rectory or Chawton Cottage?
Ooh, hard one. But taking everything together, I'd say: London. Because of Certain Shows We Will Not Name. :-p
~What's your favorite kind of tea?
I REALLY like regular, black Lipton tea. With a little sugar and cream. (I detest lemon/fruit teas with my entire being. If you were wondering.)
~Have you ever randomly stumbled across a fellow Janeite at a social event? Tell us about it!
*sobs* No I haven't!! But I'd LOVE to!!
~Who's your favorite parent in a Jane Austen novel?
Mrs. Dashwood. Beyond the shadow of a doubt. She is one of the only Austen parents that is sensible, caring, and intelligent. (Especially as played by Janet McTeer :-))
Well, that was fun!! Apologies for the rather long-windedness of this comment. And the Sherlock. Always Sherlock. :D

Naomi Pitts said...

Did you not get my comment? I sent a long comment yesterday with all the answers of your questions and all that jazz, but I suppose blogger was hungry and decided to eat it. :-P